Graduating Librarians, Information Professionals, and School Media Specialists are entering a workplace that requires more and more specialized skills, knowledge, and experience. Things like:
- Experience at building a LibGuide;
- Knowledge of administering & maintaining a LibGuides system;
- Skill in using virtual chat reference tools like LibChat;
- Know-how with coordinating, managing, and advertising library events;
- Expertise in building and creating interactive instructional tutorials.
At Springshare, we recognize that Librarians-in-Training are the future <cue cheesy music> of Librarianship and we want to help them be as prepared as possible for what’s to come!
To that end, we’re offering a free Suite of Springshare Tools to any and all LIS Programs, School Media Specialist certification programs, or M.Ed Programs, and others. If you’re not sure your school or program qualifies, just fill out the form below and inquire!
With your LIS Suite, students will gain real-world experience using Springshare Tools. Furthermore, it can serve as a living and online archive of their student work – invaluable to future employers.
What’s in the LIS Suite of Springshare Tools?
Each LIS Suite comes with the following Springshare tools and you’re welcome to choose one, a few, or all of the tools to utilize within your program. You don’t need to get the entire Suite if you don’t need it! But, we think you might like to make use of all the tools in your proverbial toolkit!
LibGuides CMS: Students learn to curate knowledge and build multimedia-rich guides by:
- Creating subject, course, or topical Guides
- Creating a mock ‘Library Website’
- Learning about Bootstrap in a user-friendly environment
- Creating a mock ‘Staff Policies & Procedures’ manual
LibWizard: Students learn to create interactive tutorials, quizzes, surveys, and forms to engage patrons by:
- Building self-paced interactive tutorials and assessments
- Assessing patron learning with quizzes
- Creating engaging feedback surveys
- Replacing paper forms with mobile-friendly online forms
LibAnswers Platform: Students develop their virtual reference and reference interview skills by:
- Practicing a live chat exchange using LibChat
- Creating media-rich FAQs and learning best practices for keyword optimization
- Practicing their reference interview via email, SMS, Twitter, and more
LibCal: Students learn how to create engaging library programming and events, manage space bookings, and create their own one-on-one consultation scheduler by:
- Practicing creating a library calendar with engaging events
- Communicating and advertising events to patrons
- Managing library spaces, study rooms, and bookable spaces
- Creating their own schedule for librarian consultations and advertising them to patrons
- Your LIS Suite of Springshare Tools may only be used within your library school, educational, or certification program to train future librarians and information professionals on the use of Springy Tools.
- You / your designated group of local admins are front-line support for any questions your students or faculty have about using Springshare tools. They / you can have full access to our help documentation and training, but all support questions from students/faculty are routed through you. Basically, you know them better than we do so it makes sense for their questions to be answered locally!
- If you / your designated group of local admins have questions or need to report any issues, contact Springshare Support.
What About Content on Other LIS Systems?
Since 2011, we’ve realized the importance in providing access to LibGuides for Librarians-in-Training. If you’ve created content on these systems, we’ve outlined your options below.
- Library School Sandbox (LibGuides v1): http://libraryschool.libguidescms.com
- Content created on this v1 system cannot be migrated to your v2 LIS Suite due to versioning incompatibility.
- You’ll need to recreate all content created on this site in your v2 LIS Suite manually.
- LibGuides for Library Schools (LibGuides v2): http://lisdemo.libguides.com
- Guides created on this system can be copied into your LIS Suite.
- Follow these steps for copying a guide from another system.
Request Your LIS Suite of Springshare Tools!
Ready to get started? Request your LIS Suite of Tools today!