Last week’s Springshare Learning Lab with University of Liverpool’s Gwen Jones was a can’t miss event. But in case you did, we have the recording and presenter notes available!
Gwen covers how the Univ. of Liverpool switched from being non-contributing (receiving backup chat support only) to contributing (giving and receiving chat support) in the Springshare 24/7 Global Chat community.
Gwen shares how they prepped and trained to get ready for answering chats from patrons from around the world including watching helpful videos on training.springshare.com and practicing with each other. She also shares helpful tips like:
- Avoiding geographical lingo – ‘Banging’ in England has a totally different meaning in the U.S.
- Learn how other libraries call things – One library’s Interlibrary Loan is another library’s ‘Get It For Me’.
- Being the ‘student’ for once – When trying to help a patron from another library, you’re digging around that library’s website, FAQs, and Policy Page… much like a student. This experience helps you to better understand what your own patrons are going through.
- What makes a good Policy FAQ – Looking at other library’s policy FAQs when you’re trying to answer their patron’s questions helps to make sure your FAQs are helpful, clear, and concise.
- Helps with Professional Growth (no really!): – Gwen stated that the librarians love answering global chats so much, that if it was taken away the staff might revolt! Answering chats from other libraries around the world is exciting and helps staff hone their skills – which they can then take ‘home’ to their own patrons.
- …. and so much more!
More Learning Labs Coming Up!
Our aim is to have a Springshare Learning Lab every single month! Our next Springshare Learning Lab:
- Virtual User Testing: Leveraging LibWizard to Solicit User Feedback. 1:00pm – 2:15pm ET Thursday, February 25, 2021