We had a great time at ALA-Midwinter, from stuffing our faces with cheesesteaks, exploring Reading Terminal Market, eating more cheesesteaks, walking (not running!) the 72 Rocky steps in front of the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and did we say… eating cheesesteaks?
But the most fun, even above stuffing our gullets with cheesy steaks, was had whilst watching the amazing guest presentations at our Springshare Booth. And while we got to experience that fun, LIVE, not everyone could make it to ALA-Midwinter and experience that with us.
To that end, we recorded those presentations and have guest slides/links/resources to share with you. So even though you might have been #ALAleftbehind, you can kick your feet up, watch these amazing guest speakers (and even a few of our Springshare-led presentations), and dare we say it, enjoy a cheesesteak.
When you think of March, you automatically think of March Madness. At ASU, they’re doing things a bit differently. March Mammal Madness is an educational opportunity to learn all about our planet’s species interwoven with a ‘sporting’ bracket to serve as a thrilling competitive experience. The entire tournament is housed in a LibGuide with a downloadable bracket and Rounds are narrated on Wakelet.
Jen Hasse discusses using LibGuides as a tool for cross-campus partnership and community building. From guides created to promote and facilitate authors visits, book clubs, and film screenings to resources guides that support advising, student health and wellness, and other student support departments, LibGuides can go beyond the library!
Reaching Them Where They Are: Put the Library Where Students are Learning with LibGuides / LMS Integration
Temple University recently established a “Library” button in the navigation menu of all courses in Canvas that shows an automatically matched guide from TU Libraries LibGuides system. By bringing library resources and services to students at their point of need, the Library button gives them easier access to these supports.
These amazing presentations are led by Springshare team members! Not only do they contain really helpful info but also sneak-peeks at coming soon functionality! Be on the cutting edge by checking them out below.
- Building a 2020 Election LibGuide – Looking to build a 2020 Election LibGuide? Take a look at examples for 2020 US Election Guides and then we’ll do a partial build based on best practices for this guide type.
- Explore the LibAnswers 24/7 Global Chat Cooperative (Going Live February 28!) – The LibAnswers 24/7 Cooperative allows librarians to provide collaborative chat reference. Librarians answer patron chats on behalf of all member libraries within the cooperative.This means, all of your patrons can get library help, even when your physical doors are closed. The Cooperative is officially going live on February 28 and if you want to attend a live-demo, we have two sneak-peek webinars this month. Register for those sessions here.
- Explore LibCRM with New Operational Emailing Functionality – LibCRM is a Customer Relationship Management Tool for outreach librarians. Explore how you can use it in your Library and see our brand-new released operational emailing tool.
- LibInsight & COUNTER5 for Analyzing Your E-Resources Statistics – LibInsight was the first library-specific data gathering tool that was COUNTER5-compliant in 2019 (read related blog post). This presentation covers how LibInsight displays your E-Resource data in COUNTER 5 format.
- Using LibGuides to Promote Social Issues with Timely Responses – All teaching librarians know – the most successful teaching sessions are based around an assignment, or project, or task.Why? Because contextual learning = long-term learning. That same equation applies when you connect learning resources with topical, current events. Users are far more likely to engage with and deep-dive into material when the subject matter is topical and relevant to them.
- Create Self-Paced Learning Tutorials with LibWizard – Literacy extends beyond your front doors. Create engaging, self-paced learning tutorials with live interactive websites, embedded videos, and more. Your patrons can engage with the library and expand their information literacy skills at the same time. Plus, explore some of the awesome new features we’ve added to LibWizard in the last few months.
Want to Be a Springy Presenter?
If you’re looking at Rene’s, Jen’s, and Olivia’s presentations and thinking to yourself, “I have cool stuff to share too!”… then you’re in luck! We’re looking for guest speakers for PLA (February 26 – 28) and ALA Annual (June 26 – 29)! Take a minute and fill out our Springy Rockstars Wanted form.