Tuesday night we rolled out a shiny new updating-to-v2 process for our LibGuides v1 friends and we can’t wait to have you try it! We’ve reduced the number of steps it takes, so you can breeze right into the v2 experience. The best part? You can easily go from live with v1 to migrated and live with v2 in a DAY. Yup, you read that right. Express Migration runs both the migration and go-live processes on the same day, automatically. Intrigued? Fantastic! Let’s go through the new process & options then, shall we?
First, we have a checklist right on Admin level users’ v1 Dashboard, front and center in the middle column. It not only outlines the steps for you, but also lets you see where you are in the process. Every time a step is completed, it’s checked off! The only required steps are requesting your v2 site and scheduling data migration / go-live dates. We recommend you take a look at the others to see if there’s anything else you’d like to do (like taking training sessions on the v2 system), but they’re not required. 😉
And to help out on the flip side, there’s a new box on the v2 Home page for Admin level users that also tells you where you are in the process / counts down to your migration / go live dates (once they’re scheduled) and provides links to documentation, training, and your v1 Dashboard.
Let’s talk about the Pre-migration options. You can choose to pre-migrate certain things in order to assist with setting up your v2 system. Run some, all, or none of them – it’s up to you!
- Accounts: Especially useful if you choose Express Migration, because it allows your colleagues to get in and learn the system prior to going live with it. For CMS sites, there are a bunch of new user permissions, too.
- Databases: Get your A-Z Database Assets / List set up in advance.
- Groups (CMS Only): User Access is a new feature of groups in v2. Pre-migrate your accounts and groups to get them set up with the new features!
- Header / Footer: Give yourself a head start by copying over your banner image / header and footer HTML.
The Migration / Go-Live scheduling options are especially exciting. You now have three options to choose from, and the go-live process is completely automated.* No more clicking of links to go live – just schedule the date and we’ll take care of the rest.
- Express Migration: Migrate your content and go live on the same date! Pre-migrate accounts, databases and header/footer, then schedule Express Migration – you’ll be running with v2 in no time!
- Regular Migration: Migrate your content on one day, but go live on another. This is helpful if you want to review your content prior to going live. Your go-live date must be no later than 60 days after migration.
- Skip Migration: Some folks have chosen to “start fresh” with v2 – skip over migrating content and just manually recreate everything in their v2 system. If you’d prefer that path, great! Choose this option and simply schedule your go-live date.
If you haven’t seen the v2 system lately, join us for a training session! The “LibGuides v2 Tour & Migration FAQ” session is perfect for an overview of the system and all it can do…and we’re offering it next on Monday, July 11, 2016, so please join us!
Just want to know more about migration? We have you covered there, too, with our “Migrating to LibGuides v2” session. It’s offered on the first Thursday of each month…which means the next one is today, Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 11am U.S. Eastern time. We welcome last minute registrants, so please join us if you can!
Of course, all of our training is recorded because we know the scheduled days / times don’t always work for everyone. These new sessions will be available shortly to all customers. In v1, click the HELP button in the command bar. For those with LibApps accounts, all recorded LibGuides training is available in our LibGuides Training Videos guide.
We hope you like the new process, and as always, if you have any questions, you know where to find us. 😉
* If you have a custom domain (meaning your URL is something other than something.libguides.com, like library.institution.org), you’ll still need to coordinate your go-live date with your IT department so they can update your DNS records. The Migration guide has instructions for your IT folks, so all you need to do is copy that info and paste it into an email to them. 🙂
Will this be available for other Springshare products? We’ve done everything, but LibCal and this would be great.
Hi Marie, thanks for the suggestion! We’ll take a look at the migration process in LibCal & the other products & figure out which elements make sense to integrate. Thanks again!