LibGuides v2 servers will be down for planned upgrades for about 90 minutes on Friday, February 13th starting at 10pm U.S. EST / 7pm PST.
Why the down time for this release? Well, we’re making some updates that require database changes while no one is using the system. 🙂
This only affects LibGuides v2. Our other products – LibAnswers, LibStaffer, LibCal, etc. – and LibGuides v1 are unaffected.
It may be happening on Friday the 13th, but don’t be scared! This scheduled down time of our LibGuides v2 servers isn’t scary – it’s exciting!
When you come back to work on Monday morning (or over the weekend, if that’s your gig), you’ll have both shiny new and revised functionality to play with. Things like:
- changes in the way Assets work (based on your feedback, Regular users will be able to edit Assets they don’t own on guides where they are a Guide Editor)*;
- guide-level XML export;
- more API options (CMS only);
- URL referrers in the stats area (CMS only);
- and so much more!
The actual down time may vary slightly, but will be about 90 minutes, so please plan accordingly. (Btw, this is a great use for LibAnswers’ Systems & Services Management tool!)
We’ll have more info for you about the release soon, so keep an eye on our blog.
Here’s what users will see if they go to your site during the down time:
* More info on the Assets thing:
- Regular users will be able to edit Assets they don’t own on guides where they are a Guide Editor;
- If Regular users reuse an Asset someone else created, they can edit certain fields to customize them for that particular instance of the Asset, but those edited fields do not affect the original or any other mapped version;
- Changes to the original Asset still cascade down to all mapped versions, though customized fields will not be affected;
Let us know if you have any questions and thanks for being part of the Springshare family! 🙂
I do not want this feature “Regular users will be able to edit Assets they don’t own”. Is there a way that I can choose not to have this option.
Hi Elize –
Sorry for the confusion! I hope the updates I just made to the post clarify how this change to Assets is going to work.
There is no way to opt out of this, but I think the update will help clarify what actually will happen with Regular users and Assets.
Thanks. This sounds much better “Regular users will be able to edit Assets they don’t own on guides where they are a Guide Editor”. I have no problem with this enhancement.
What will users see when they come to our site during the down time?
Hi Brian –
I just updated the post with an image of what folks will see.
We running our full website via LibGuides v2 . So I’m assuming we are going to be completed down during the upgrade.
Hi Gus –
Yes, all LibGuides sites will be offline while we do this update.
We do our best to schedule code updates for a day & time that will be least disruptive to our customers and their users, and generally speaking, our goal is to avoid taking the servers down at all. Our developers worked hard to find a way around it, but in the end, it was the best course of action for all sites for this particular code update. This is only the 2nd time in the history of LibGuides that there’s been a real need to take the servers down for an update, so please know it’s something we make every attempt to avoid.