Earlier this month, we rolled out a huge statistics update – huzzah! We’ve heard lots of good feedback about the new functionality – words like “awesome”, “fascinating”, and “super cool” have been flying around. We’ve also heard from some folks who miss the simplicity and scannability of the previous monthly hit reports.
We’re all about easy, so we’ve added these reports back in to the new stats interface! Here’s how to get them:
- Head to Statistics, & select the Guides tab
- Choose Monthly report, then select the months you’d like to see (ex: January to August); click Apply
- Look below the chart, and you’ll see the Monthly report grid:
- Select a guide to see a grid breakdown by page; click Links to see grids on links, books, files, etc.
- Prefer seeing all clicks in one report? Choose Export to: Excel or Plain Text to view all guide clicks:
Thanks to everyone for sharing feedback on the new statistics!
Good morning SpringyLand! We rolled out a code update last night, including our hugely anticipated Statistics Update – huzzah! What’s new this time?
Statistics, You Complete Me.
We’ve completely redesigned the way we capture and report statistics:
- Daily stats reports – goodbye monthly aggregate stats!
- Custom Date Ranges – run reports on any date range, and create daily, monthly, or yearly reports
- Charts? Charts! – Create zoomable charts right in the system, and print/export them into any program.
- New Links Report – Reused link clicks are aggregated *across your entire site* in one glorious report.
- Mobile Views – Check! Discover whether hits are coming from mobile vs. desktop users.
- And, for LibGuides CMS (formerly CampusGuides) users, we have brand new stat reports just for you! Grab reports on Search Phrases (the terms users search for in your site search box) User Sessions, and Browser/OS Information.
These new stats cover dates starting as of July 1, 2012.
Integration Made Easy.
We’ve added several major integration points and improvements with LibAnswers:
- Add a LibChat Department Widget to every page in your site with one click (Sys Settings -> Integrations)
- Add a LibChat Personal Widget to your profile box with one click (Edit Profile Box -> LibChat Integration)
- The LibAnswers box-type got a huge upgrade – with one click, you can:
- Embed the Auto-suggest Search Box, OR
- Embed your Question Form, OR
- Embed an entire Question & Answer from your public knowledgebase!
But Wait, There’s More!
- New API Option – display a list of guides for an individual user
- Redirected Pages can now be opened in new windows, using the new checkbox option
- Tweet Updates on published AND private guides
- New Character Counter & Tag Parser in the plain-text area of the Rich Text box
- Mobile Footer customization now available
As always, thanks to everyone who contributed ideas and requests for this update!
By now you’ve probably heard that Meebo is discontinuing its chat service on July 11, 2012. The good news is that LibChat will be ready before then. The even better news is that is it so super awesome that even if Meebo wasn’t cancelling their chat, you’d still switch to LibChat in a heartbeat!
We know what you’re thinking: “So Springy friends, 1) what can it do and 2) when can we get our hands on it?!”
Well, LibChat’s awesomesauce is made of:
Say hello to LibChat!
- full integration into the LibAnswers reference workflow (including new question / SMS notifications right in the LibChat window!);
- 1-click integration into LibGuides / CampusGuides (embed chat on every public page; embed individual chat in your profile);
- simple integration into any webpage – put your chat at point of need;
- several widget types – easy to use & not Flash based, so they work on non-Flash supported devices (we’re lookin’ at you, Apple);
- multiple queues – create as many as you need (individual & department based);
- chat transfer: transfer in-process chats from one librarian to another (making referrals easy peasy!);
- customizable canned messages;
- transcripts: all chat transcripts are saved & can be analyzed; patrons can also email the transcript to themselves with one click;
- full statistics, including patron ratings;
- …and more!
Of course, one of the prime ingredients in Springshare’s awesomesauce is our outstanding support. Anyone caught by the Meebo chat shut-down can certainly appreciate the full value of having a library-focused company develop & support a library-centric reference solution.
True, it’s not free like Meebo was, but remember that you get what you pay for with free. With real-time reference being an important piece of the library’s mission, we feel it is very important to offer not only a great product, but also incredible service & support and continued product development.
This is where Springshare excels, and we are proud of the fact that we have built a sterling reputation for support & service in the library market. LibChat is no exception, and our clients – new and old – can expect the same awesome service / product / developments from us. We will never abandon you or let you down.
Excited yet? Want to see it in action? Alrighty then – let’s do it!
- Are you going to ALA? Stop by booth 712 and chat with us! Check out all of the awesome features and get your library signed up.
- Not going to ALA? No problem! Email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for a demo for your library.
LibChat will launch in early July – before Meebo shuts down. Chat with you soon! 🙂
We had a code rollout last night – read on to discover the new features we’ve added!
- E-Reserves Updates– we’ve introduced a ton of new features for the E-reserves module!
- We’ve added a new E-Reserve Request Form option! This makes it easy to collect reserve item requests from instructors. For more information, check the FAQ, Jack.
- We’ve added a new IP restriction option, so you can restrict the E-Reserves area by IP
- You can now reorder E-reserve items in courses
- You can now create E-Reserve items directly from the E-Reserve page in a guide
- You can now create E-Reserve folders directly, independent of items
- We added a “Course” filter on the E-Reserve Items control alrea, making it easier to manage items
- We’ve added Hex Color Pickers across the site, making it easier to select color options
- We’ve overhauled the Guide Layout/Colors screen, making it easier to create your guide look and feel
- CampusGuides Clients have a new Access Restriction option: Limit access to your system to logged-in users only. In other words, only people who have an account in your CampusGuides system can view published content in your site. To enable this option, shoot us a message – email@example.com.
- Credo Search Content Box – Add a search of your Credo Reference content, and display results right in your guides! To see it in action & learn how it works, check out our help guide.
- We also added lots of little niceties and fixes, including:
- You can now submit the “Add Box” page by hitting enter, instead of needing to manually click “Submit”
- We’ve added character limit warnings to several areas, including custom profile fields, adding tags, etc.
- Discussion board posts should now reflect your local time
As always, thanks to everyone who suggested new features. Keep em coming, we love to hear from you!
By now, most of you know about our Best Of site. It houses a collection of guides considered “Best” for one reason or another – best page layout, best collection of resources, best use of images… you get the idea. 🙂
The best part of Best Of? We’ve already contacted the original guide authors and asked them if they’re willing to share their awesome content, so you’re free to copy any featured guide into your own site and reuse / remix it to your hearts content!
This week, we’ve added a new group of awesome guides to Health & Wellness Resources. These guides were compiled by the experts at Eugene Public Library and Berkeley Public Library, & showcase resources that cover everything from Fitness & Exercise to Nutrition, and from Alternative & Complimentary Medicine to Men’s & Women’s Health. Check them out – they’re sure to put a spring in your step!
We’re always looking for new guides to feature in Best Of. If you’ve created or know of a guide that makes you go “Whoa, that’s awesome!”, let us know!
Here at Springshare, we really do love librarians – so we whipped up a little Valentine’s gift for all our libraries. Check out these new-and-awesome features, and let us know – will you be our Valentine?
- Enhanced Content in Books from the Catalog box*
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could enter an ISBN and automatically retrieve information for any book? Now you can! Just enter an ISBN, and we’ll automatically pull in the item’s title, author, and cover art.
CampusGuides Mega Bonus: Our CampusGuides clients can also pull book descriptions, bestseller lists, Subject Categories, Publisher information, and other enhanced content from Bowker – for free, to be used in your guides!
- Translate Public Screens
LibGuides en Espanol? Francais? Italiano? Libraries can now customize the hard-coded text on public screens in their local language. If your local language is English, you can also customize the text to meet your needs. For example, change the search box drop-down to read “This Site” instead of “All Guides”. To customize your language file, email firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!
- New “Edit Box” menu
You’ll love the consolidated menu in the “edit box” area. We combined all box edit functions into one screen. Just click “edit box”, and you’ll be able to change the box title, type, colors, etc. Even better, you can grab each box’s direct link, as well as an API call for any box, all in the same screen!
- Add Longer Descriptions to the Links & Lists box
We get it. 500 characters for description in the Links & Lists box wasn’t enough, so we’ve upped the length of the description field to 1,000 characters.
- Using the Serials Solutions A-Z Import Tool?
Now you can update the 3-letter Serials Solutions ID for any previously imported link! Just head to your A-Z import guide and select “edit link”. You’ll see a new tab for “Serials Solutions” – click it to change the Serials Solutions Database Identifier.
- CampusGuides clients can now upload files up to 10MB in size
CampusGuides folks – we’ve doubled your file upload size from 5MB to 10MB.
- Update to AddThis Button
The email function in the AddThis button on public screens is back up and working properly!
- Guide Status Notification on all screens
Seriously – sometimes it’s all about the little things. We’ve added a note to the edit guide screen that lets you know the guide’s current status – Unpublished, Published, or Private.
* Please remember – free use of Syndetics cover art and Bowker content is limited to use within LibGuides and CampusGuides
Things that are good on their own but better in multiples:
- Winning Lottery Numbers
- Ice Cream Scoops
- Vacation Days
- When your hometown wins the Superbowl, Stanley Cup, World Series and NBA Finals all in the same year (Not this year Boston!)
- …. and Springshare’s Multiple Mobile Sites Builder!
If you’ve been looking for a way to create multiple mobile sites for your institution, here’s your opportunity: subscribe to Springshare’s multiple Mobile Site Builder sites! Now other departments within, or outside, of your library can create a mobile presence as easy as 1, 2, 3.
What else is new? We’ve integrated all mobile aspects of LibGuides and CampusGuides, so all of your mobile functionality can be found in one place: Admin Stuff > Mobile Settings:
Our Admin Stuff menu has changed a bit - Mobile Settings are now located under the "Customize" heading.
Once there, you’ll be able to modify your mobile settings for your LibGuides/CampusGuides site as well as create/modify your hierarchies for your Mobile Site Builder sites.
The new LibGuides & CampusGuides SEI update is live! Thanks go out to everyone who offered feedback that led to this major redesign of the back end interface. For a full walkthrough of the organization changes, check out: http://help.springshare.com/lgcg-sei. Here are some of our favorite highlights:
- The new Dashboard screen (you’ll see it when you first log in) is clean and (we hope!) easy to navigate. You can always get back to the Dashboard from any screen, thanks to the link in the top-left corner of the menu bar.
- Admins – the Admin Alert Boxes are here! You can create system messages, reminders, links to your help and style guidelines, etc. and display them right on the screen where your content creators are! You have 2 alert boxes available – one on the Dashboard, and another on the Create Guide screen.
- RSS Feeds – The Tools menu has all the tools you know and love (API, Widgets, Link Checker & Bookmarklet), plus the new RSS Feeds tool! Instead of hunting around through guides, user profiles, etc. to find the RSS Feeds for your site, we figured we’d make things easy on you and put all the feeds in one spot.
- Add-on Module – The Modules menu has a new link for Add-on Module users – this offers a quick way to upload images and manage your image library, and gives you a quick way to access your site’s XML export and individual Guide Backups (HTML)
As you’ll quickly notice, the biggest change in this update is organization. The administrative organization of the system hasn’t changed since LibGuides was introduced in 2007. In that time, we’ve added hundreds of features and tools, and the administrative interface was reaching a critical mass. We really hope you’ll find the new interface intuitive, and we’re excited to hear what you think!
-Slaven and the Springy Team
As an aside, we know that many folks are experiencing issues with Syndetics images displaying in guides. This issue is not related to yesterday’s update – thanks to an unseasonable Nor’easter that hit the East Coast over the weekend, Syndetics servers appear to be down. We apologize for the inconvenience, but we know our friends at Syndetics are working hard to get things back online as soon as they can!
As you may already know from the last couple of newsletters (June and September), we’re getting ready to release a new version of the system, with significantly updated dashboard and management screens. The current dashboard hasn’t changed since the system’s inception in 2007, and we’ve added hundreds of new features, so… things were getting a little cramped back there, if you know what we mean. 🙂
This update will affect all content creators in LibGuides & CampusGuides – System Administrators, Librarians, and anyone with an account in the system. We put together a guide – http://help.springshare.com/lgcg-sei – to help you with the transition. It has detailed information about the new stuff and a screenshot tour of the new interface. Please read it carefully to get acquainted with the new look and organization.
The actual code update will occur over the weekend of October 29-30. There will be no system downtime during this code update.
As always, we’re excited to hear what you think – if you have any questions, ideas, or kudos, don’t be shy – let us know!
Hey Hey Hey – we released an update for LibGuides & CampusGuides this weekend! Check out the new features & improvements:
- New Slider option to control column widths
Sick of resurrecting your math skills every time you want to create custom column widths? Us too! In any guide, head to Add/Edit Pages –> Resize Columns to see the new slider.
- Add a customized message on your site’s support form
Every LibGuides and CampusGuides site includes a link in the footer to “Report a Tech Support Issue”, which triggers an email to our Springy Support team and cc’s your primary site administrator. If there are different help channels that your patrons should be using, you can add a custom note to the “Report a Tech Support Issue” form! Check out Hillsborough Community College for an example. To add custom text to your site’s form, email Springy Support and let us know what you’d like to add!
- CampusGuides – New API option lets you filter by group
We’ve added a new filter for API calls! To filter an API call to return results from a specific group, add the term “&gid=xxx” (where xxx is the ID of the group you want to filter by). With this new feature, you can dynamically generate a list of guides, list of authors, list of subject categories, or tag cloud for an individual group in your system – neato!
- CampusGuides – Add a note to your IP rules
Having trouble keeping track of your CampusGuides IP rules? We’ve added a new “note” field – now, you can keep track of what those random-looking IP strings actually do. 🙂 To view this new option, Admins can head to System Wide Settings –> Access Rules.
- E-Reserves – New course visibility options
This one’s for folks using the E-Reserves module. We’ve added a visibility option to E-Reserves courses. By assigning a course visibility date, you can show/hide courses (and all the e-reserve content they contain) by date. To edit your course visibility dates, head to E-Reserves –> E-Reserve Course List; click the “Course Visibility” drop-down to choose a custom date range for your course’s visibility.