You can now request migrations of your LibGuides v1 content into your LibGuides v2 Beta sites!
(We’re not sure who’s more excited right now – you or us! )
Before we even tell you about the awesome reports we have available to you or how to request your migration, you should know:
- Only the person who requested your beta site can schedule your content migration.
- Once you schedule your migration, the date cannot be changed. So please be sure to discuss timing with the appropriate folks and choose your migration date carefully.
- Migrations are limited to 10/day through May 2014.
Starting in June 2014 it will be increased to 50/day.
- Migration will only include data as of the day before your scheduled migration, so make sure all necessary changes are made by the end of the day the day before your migration. Example: If your migration is scheduled for May 5th, it will include content from end of day May 4th.
- Statistics will be migrated later. Statistics migration is the next-to-last step in taking your LibGuides v2 site live.
Okay, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, onward to other important info!
Preparing Your LibGuides v1 Data for Migration
- Read through the Migrating to LibGuides v2 guide.
(You must be logged into your v2 site to access that guide.)
- Download the pre-migration checklists from that guide.
- Go through the reports / checklists and get your system ready!
The guide has a lot of details about migration and what you can do to get your system ready, including those checklists we promised so you can feel the complete satisfaction of crossing things off lists. *sigh* We love that.
In addition, your LibGuides v1 system has some awesome reports to help you with the “clean up” process! Our tech team worked hard to provide you with information so you don’t have to dig for it. These reports include:
- Content-related reports on things like accounts that have not logged in for 3/6/9/12 months, guides that haven’t been updated in 3/6/9/12 months, guides with low hit counts this year, subjects / groups with no associated guides, and more!
- A way to designate which links in your v1 system should migrate into your v2 system as Database Assets, which will automatically populate your Assets > A-Z Database List area.
- A way to ensure all database links are mapped to the links you designated, speeding up migration time and cleaning up your system, all in one step!
- A report of boxes that will not migrate into v2, because they either do not fit into the design of the new system or they’re being replaced with v2 options. This report helps you with planning how you want to integrate that content into your v2 guides post-migration.
Those reports can be accessed by admin-level users:
- Log into your LibGuides v1 system.
- Click the LibGuides v2 Beta Request button.
- Check out the reports in Section III.
- Of course, remember to read the guide and download checklists before heading into that area.
Requesting Your Content Migration
Okay, okay, we know it took a while to get here, but we promise all of the clean up stuff is worth it.
You can wait to schedule your migration until you’ve done your clean up, or you can schedule it now and use that looming deadline as motivation to get the clean up done…whichever works for you.
Migration dates are currently available through May 2014. More will be added shortly.
Migration scheduling is first come, first served. As dates fill up (remember: 10/day through May 2014), those dates will not be available for selection in the scheduling area.
- Log into your LibGuides v1 system and click the LibGuides v2 Beta Request button on your Dashboard.
- All admin-level users have access to this page to see reports / where in the migration process you are.
- Only the person who requested the LibGuides v2 beta site will be able to set up your site’s migration date.
- In Step IV: Schedule Your Data Migration:
- Read the information there.
- Select a date and click Schedule It!
- If your preferred date is not available, that means our dance card is full for that day. Please select another date.
That’s it! When the day comes, we’ll take care of migrating all of your content from your v1 system into your v2 system.
Check in your LibGuides v2 beta site the day after your migration and you’ll see all of your LibGuides v1 content! At that point, you’ll want to start in on post-migration clean up.
We’ll have more info on that in our Migrating to LibGuides v2 guide, along with information on going live…